Listen for changes in variable (alsaaudio.Mixer(x, x).getvolume(x)

David Hutto dwightdhutto at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 21:42:54 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Muffinman <news**REMOVETHIS**@koster.tk> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm new to Python (running 2.6.6 but if necessary 3.x should also be
> fine). I have a little idea I hope to accomplish with Python. I want to
> listen for changes in Alsa sound volume level and base some actions on
> that. With the few lines below I can check the current volume level. Can
> I extend this so that the script listens for changes in the volume level
> and I can base some actions on it? As speed is quite important it's not
> an option to poll every second or so for changes, it has to be close to
> instantaneous.

You might have to go to c++(ctypes function call), like I'm going to
have to for a oscilloscope(using arecord probably, or other options),
and use in line assembly to push straight from/to the register.

I haven't had a good look at  python's IO module yet though.

Best Regards,
David Hutto
CEO: http://www.hitwebdevelopment.com