Listen for changes in variable (alsaaudio.Mixer(x, x).getvolume(x)

David Hutto dwightdhutto at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 21:35:37 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Muffinman <news**REMOVETHIS**@koster.tk> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm new to Python (running 2.6.6 but if necessary 3.x should also be
> fine). I have a little idea I hope to accomplish with Python. I want to
> listen for changes in Alsa sound volume level and base some actions on
> that.

With the few lines below I can check the current volume level. Can
> I extend this so that the script listens for changes in the volume level
> and I can base some actions on it? As speed is quite important it's not
> an option to poll every second or so for changes, it has to be close to
> instantaneous.
>
> If this is not possible with Python, any suggestions on what else are
> also welcome of course.
>
> Thanks in advance, Maarten
>

> #############
> try
>     mixer = alsaaudio.Mixer(Fake, 0)
> except alsaaudio.ALSAAudioError:
>     sys.stderr.write("No such mixer\n")
>     sys.exit(1)
>
> volumes = mixer.getvolume(1)

first look at the docs for command line functions that utilize the
command line for access to certain CL apps.

Once you've found a way to access the CL apps with python(I use
subprocess.call usually, I think, but there's popen, etc.) then use
man alsamixer, or man aplayer, or man arecorder. in the shell on your
linux distro.

Then throw in a little tkinter, or a windowing system of your choice,
and distort the changes with command line calls.

--
Best Regards,
David Hutto