A desperate lunge for on-topic-ness

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Oct 21 06:00:59 EDT 2012

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 20:20:41 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 7:07 PM, Steven D'Aprano
>> On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 14:18:47 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>>> True, but nobody prints source code out on paper do they?
>>
>> I do.
>>
>> There's nothing better than spreading out a dozen sheets of source code
>> over a table to get a good, high-level overview of what does what in
>> preparation to refactoring it.
>>
>>> Seriously -- I can't remember the last time I printed souce code...
>>
>> I've never printed souce code either *wink*
>
> So what you actually mean is that there's nothing _like_ spreading out
> &c &c. I should think that throwing cold water over the code would be
> better.

Er, no. Note spelling of "source code" vs "souce code". Hence the grin.

I seriously do print out source code. When I'm having trouble seeing how
the parts of a module fit together, reading print-outs is a good way
around the problem. Class browsers don't show you duplicate code, and
besides, only works with classes. Reading code on screen is limited in
how much you can see at a time. Both of these things play a part in
refactoring, and so does printing out the source and having a human being
(i.e. me) look at it.

--
Steven