Python interactive help()

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Fri Oct 19 06:19:43 EDT 2012

Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 19/10/2012 09:56, Duncan Booth wrote:
>> Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Good morning/afternoon/evening all,
>>>
>>> Where is this specific usage documented as my search engine skills have
>>> let me down?  By this I mean entering help() without parameters to get
>>> the following output and then the help> prompt.
>>>
>> It is documented under 'built-in functions'.
>>
>> http://docs.python.org/library/functions.html#help
>>

> Well Foxtrot Mike :-)  Thanks for the fast response.

A harder question would have been if you asked where 'exit()', 'quit()' are
documented. For some reason they are hidden under "Built-in constants"
(even though the documentation includes the function call syntax) alongside
'license' and 'credits' which are documented without the parentheses but
are also callable.

All but 'credits' behave similarly having a repr that gives you
instructions to call them and doing something different when you do call
them. 'credits' just gives you the same text whether or not you call it.