Python interactive help()

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Fri Oct 19 04:59:59 EDT 2012

Mark Lawrence wrote:

> Where is this specific usage documented as my search engine skills have
> let me down?

find and grep ftw.

> By this I mean entering help() without parameters to get
> the following output and then the help> prompt.

http://docs.python.org/dev/py3k/library/functions.html#help

"""
help([object])
Invoke the built-in help system. (This function is intended for interactive
use.) If no argument is given, the interactive help system starts on the
interpreter console. If the argument is a string, then the string is looked
up as the name of a module, function, class, method, keyword, or
documentation topic, and a help page is printed on the console. If the
argument is any other kind of object, a help page on the object is
generated.
"""