Aggressive language on python-list

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 16:28:30 EDT 2012

On 17 October 2012 19:16, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 3:48 AM,  <rurpy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>On 10/16/2012 08:45 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>>> Except that you've made a 180-
>>> degree turn from your advice to "ignore" bad behaviour, but apparently
>>> didn't notice that *sending private emails* is not by any definition
>>> "ignoring". So apparently you don't actually agree with your own advice.
>>
>> Do you have Asberger's by any chance?  Can you understand that
>> I said "ignore" in the context of public discussions in this
>> newsgroup/maillist?
>
> That's nothing to do with Asperger's. Ignoring something/someone does
> not include sending a private message. What you may be trying to say
> is that we should refrain from publicly responding to bad behaviour,
> which is not the same thing. If you want to pull a Humpty Dumpty and
> use "ignore" to mean "not respond to in public", then go ahead, I'm
> not stopping you - but do please make it clear somewhere in your post.

I would also assume that ignoring a post means not replying on or off list.

Moreover, I think it's unfortunate for you to make this comment with
an irrelevant reference to Asperger's syndrome. I'll give you the
benefit of the doubt that you didn't mean it this way but the comment
is easily interpreted as being disparaging to people with Asperger's.

Generally I think that using psychological disorders or medical
conditions as part of ad hominem risks offending people for no good
reason. If you mean to accuse Steven of pedantry then why not use
words like "pedantic" rather then words like "autistic".

Oscar