Aggressive language on python-list

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 16 12:27:48 EDT 2012

On 10/14/2012 10:36 PM, alex23 wrote:> On Oct 15, 1:22 pm, ru... at yahoo.com wrote:
>> Thus when a member of this esteemed group
>> was recently attacked as racist, for punning another member's
>> name when responding somewhat heatedly,
>
> Again, there is a difference between "attacking" someone "as racist"
> and *criticising* their *comments* as *possibly* racist. When the
> person whose name was being punned said that they themselves were
> unsure whether it was intended as a racial attack, then the behaviour
> was worth commenting on.

I just went back and reread what you and some others wrote
to make sure I was not misremembering and am comfortable
sticking with my description.  (FTR, your initial response
was "Please, don't be a dick.")

My intent was not to reargue that issue but to point out
that different people have differing ideas on what is
"acceptable" and "unacceptable" here and that if Ben
Finney's advice to respond (in moderation) whenever one
reads an "unacceptable" opinion is taken, one will create
an environment in which troll's will flourish.

The best advise is to ignore such posts and encourage
others to do the same.