Generating C++ code

Etienne Robillard animelovin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 06:00:47 EDT 2012

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 20:12:36 -0700
Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> wrote:

> Jean-Michel Pichavant <jeanmichel at sequans.com> wrote:
> >
> >I'm trying to generate C++ code from an XML file. I'd like to use a template engine, which imo produce something readable and maintainable.
> >My google search about this subject has been quite unsuccessful, I've been redirected to template engine specific to html mostly.
> >
> >Does anybody knows a python template engine for generating C++ code ?
>
> I'm a big fan of Cheetah.  It's simple but flexible enough to be useful.
> Besides the many web projects I've done with it, I also I use it in one
> project to generate PHP code (it generates data access objects from a live
> database schema).
> --
> Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
> Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
> --

Also take a look at IDL, for a proper way to handle interface generation in C++. No python or cheetah
required as by definition your interfaces should be portable. What your describing is more or less look
like a hack or something which would be a pain to maintain without SWIG or something more suited for
this purposes than XML.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interface_description_language
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWIG