Getting ipython notebook to plot inline

Frank Franklin fr4nkl1nz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 14:02:17 EDT 2012

I've just managed to install ipython and get it to run by typing ipython notebook --pylab=inline

Now I'm getting the following error when I try to plot something in ipython notebook:
    AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'FigureCanvas'

I've tried using imports to make this work:
    import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
    import numpy as np
    x = np.arange(0, 5, 0.1);
    y = np.sin(x)
    plt.plot(x, y)

But for some reason I still get this error. Anybody else know what's going on here? All of the print statements I've done before have worked, and I actually got my plots to work when I didn't set --pylab=inline, though they came up in a separate window and I want them to stay in the ipython notebook.