get google scholar using python

Jerry Hill malaclypse2 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 14:09:34 EDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 1:28 PM, রুদ্র ব্যাণার্জী <bnrj.rudra at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, If I manage to use the User-Agent as shown by you, will I still
> violating the google EULA?

Very likely, yes.  The overall Google Terms of Services
(http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/terms/) say "Don’t misuse our
Services. For example, don’t interfere with our Services or try to
access them using a method other than the interface and the
instructions that we provide."

The only method that Google appears to allow for accessing Scholar is
via the web interface, and they explicitly block web scraping through
that interface, as you discovered.  It's true that you can get around
their block, but I believe that doing so violates the terms of
service.

Google does not appear to offer an API to access Scholar
programatically, nor do I see a more specific EULA or TOS for the
Scholar service beyond that general TOS document.

That said, I am not a lawyer.  If you want legal advice, you'll need
to pay a lawyer for that advice.

--
Jerry