Can't import modules

cjgohlke at gmail.com cjgohlke at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 02:10:47 EDT 2012

On Sunday, September 30, 2012 5:35:02 PM UTC-7, Peter Farrell wrote:
> Thanks for trying to help, everybody. Sorry I didn't post the whole error message. Now my problem is I just installed VPython and I'm trying to run the very first example, bounce.py which I located. I opened it and ran it in Idle. I got this message:
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File "C:\Python32\Lib\site-packages\visual\examples\bounce.py", line 1, in <module>
>
>     from visual import *
>
>   File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\visual\__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
>
>     from .visual_all import *
>
>   File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\visual\visual_all.py", line 1, in <module>
>
>     from vis import version
>
>   File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\vis\__init__.py", line 3, in <module>
>
>     from .cvisual import (vector, dot, mag, mag2, norm, cross, rotate,
>
> SystemError: initialization of cvisual raised unreported exception

Works for me on win-amd64-3.2.

Do you have the numpy package installed? The cvisual extension module uses the numpy C API. The SystemError is expected if numpy is not installed.

Install numpy-MKL-1.6.2.win-amd64-py3.2.‌exe from http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#numpy if you are using VPython-5.74.win-amd64-py3.2.‌exe.

Christoph