Can't import modules

Peter Farrell peterfarrell66 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 00:44:30 EDT 2012

On Sunday, September 30, 2012 8:19:28 PM UTC-7, Dave Angel wrote:
> On 09/30/2012 09:35 PM, Peter Farrell wrote:

> >> In general, any time you get unexpected or unusual errors in IDLE, you
>
> >> should try running the same code without IDLE, just at the regular Python
>
> >> prompt.
>
> >> <SNIP>
>
> > Thanks again for the help. I entered the import statements you suggested into the Python Shell and they gave me the same error message. (Neither did visual_all, but of course the print statement worked.)
>

> Don't run it in the Python Shell, and don't use IDLE at all.  Run your
>
> test either at the cmd window, or from plain Python's interactive
>
> interpreter, or maybe from VIDLE.
>

> >From the official download page:
>
> http://www.vpython.org/contents/download_windows.html
>

>       """How to run VPython
>

>   *
>

>     Start the program editor with the "VIDLE for Python" shortcut on the
>
>     desktop
>
>        or on the Start menu.
>

>   *
>

>     Open an example program -- for example, bounce2.py.
>

>   *
>

>     Press F5 to run (or use the Run menu).
>

> """
>

> > Since I use Python 3.2.3 I've had trouble with programs and modules designed for Python 2 and many programs don't work on my 64-bit system.
>

> > I was hoping it was a common error that newbies encounter.
>

> > Thanks again, Python fans. I'll keep you posted on my progress!
>
> VPython has separate versions for Python 2.7 and 3.2  Hopefully you
>
> downloaded the 3.2 version, since you're running it in c:\python32
>

> Also, these are for the 32bit version of CPython.  So double-check which
>
> one you've got installed.
>

> --
>

> DaveA
Yes, I downloaded the 3.2 version but on 64-bit. None of the 32-bit Python programs I've installed have worked.

VPython didn't install a VIDLE icon on my desktop. An earlier version did, but then it said it couldn't find the .exe file to work!

I've sent a message to the VPython groups. I'm looking forward to using this program, when it finally works!

Thanks again,

Peter