problem with module PyVisa

wrw at mac.com wrw at mac.com
Fri Nov 9 16:14:16 EST 2012

On Nov 9, 2012, at 3:43 PM, Jean Dubois <jeandubois314 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The error may be obvious but finding this file and how to install it
> is not unfortunately.
> It seems I have to install it from the National Instruments site but
> Debian Linux doesn't seem to be supported...
> and I doubt whether just copying this file will be sufficient to make
> PyVisa work.
> I wonder whether there might be another way to communicate via USB
> with a Keithley programmable power supply using Python.
>
> best regards,
> Jean
>

> --

I've been using pyserial quite successfully to control a USB-to-serial converter.

That is, controlling a couple of RS232 serial devices via the USB port through a KeySpan USB-to-Serial converter.

Pyserial seems to make communication through the USB port quite transparent, at least on my OS-X system.

-Bill