Executing .exe on a remote Windows machine

Kevin Holleran kdawg44 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 10:37:35 EST 2012

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Kevin Holleran <kdawg44 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My goodness.... psexec.
>
> thanks.... can't believe that didn't come to me...
>

> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 08/11/2012 14:25, Kevin Holleran wrote:
>> > Good morning,
>> >
>> > I wrote a python script to connect out to a bunch of my remote machines
>> > that are running some software.  It modifies a bunch of the config files
>> > for me.  After making the changes, I need to restart the software.  The
>> > way to do this is to call an .exe passing in a argument 'restart'
>> >  Simply restarting services is NOT acceptable & rebooting the machine
>> > isn't either.
>> >
>> > I was trying to find a way to simply call the .exe on the remote machine
>> > with subprocess but how can I get it to execute on the remote machine?
>> >  These machines do not have SSH.
>>
>> WMI can usually help with this (although there are limitations on what
>> you can execute via WMI). Also people recommend sysinternals' psexec.
>> (I've never tried it myself).
>>
>> TJG
>> --

OK, not quite resolved yet....

My code....

[code]
try:
            print("Attempting to restart Splunk...")
            subprocess.call(["psexec", "\\\\" + host, "'c:\\Program
Files\\Splunk\\bin\\splunk.exe'", "restart"])
[/code]

& am getting:

[output]
Attempting to restart Splunk...

PsExec v1.98 - Execute processes remotely
Copyright (C) 2001-2010 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

PsExec could not start 'c:\Program Files\Splunk\bin\splunk.exe' restart on
[IP_ADDRESS]:
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
[/output]

I am simply trying to restart the splunk forwarder instance....

Any thoughts??

Thanks.

Kevin