Organisation of python classes and their methods

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 07:07:54 EDT 2012

On 11/2/12 10:48 AM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 02/11/2012 08:45, Martin Hewitson wrote:

>>> 20 lines of documentation per method?  As far as I'm concerned that's not a
>>> smell, that's a stink.
>>
>> Wow, I don't think I've ever been criticised before for writing too much
>> documentation :)
>>
>> I guess we have different end users. This is not a set of classes for other
>> developers to use: it's a set of classes which creates a data analysis
>> environment for scientists to use. They are not programmers, and expect the
>> algorithms to be documented in detail.
>>
>> Martin
>
> You've completely missed the point.  99% of the time if you can't write down
> what a method does in at most half a dozen lines, the method is screaming out to
> be refactored.  Rightly or wrongly you've already rejected that option, although
> I suspect that rightly is nearer the mark in this case on the grounds that
> practicality beats purity.

You've completely missed the context. These are not really complicated methods
doing lots of things all at once such that can be refactored to simpler methods.
The docstrings are not just glorified comments for other developers reading the
source code. They are the online documentation for non-programmer end-users who
are using the interactive prompt as an interactive data analysis environment.
Frequently, they not only have to describe what it's doing, but also introduce
the whole concept of what it's doing, why you would want to do such a thing, and
provide examples of its use. That's why they are so long. For example:

http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/generated/numpy.fft.fft.html

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."