Organisation of python classes and their methods

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 06:48:54 EDT 2012

On 02/11/2012 08:45, Martin Hewitson wrote:

> On 2, Nov, 2012, at 09:40 AM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 02/11/2012 08:08, Martin Hewitson wrote:
>>>
>>> Even if one takes reasonable numbers: 20 methods, each method has 20 lines of documentation, then we immediately have 400 lines in the file before writing a line of code. It would seem much more natural to me to have these methods in their own file, grouped nicely in sub-directories. But it seems this is not the python way. Sigh.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your thoughts,
>>>
>>> Martin
>>>

>> 20 lines of documentation per method?  As far as I'm concerned that's not a smell, that's a stink.
>
> Wow, I don't think I've ever been criticised before for writing too much documentation :)
>
> I guess we have different end users. This is not a set of classes for other developers to use: it's a set of classes which creates a data analysis environment for scientists to use. They are not programmers, and expect the algorithms to be documented in detail.
>
> Martin

You've completely missed the point.  99% of the time if you can't write
down what a method does in at most half a dozen lines, the method is
screaming out to be refactored.  Rightly or wrongly you've already
rejected that option, although I suspect that rightly is nearer the mark
in this case on the grounds that practicality beats purity.

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.