Obnoxious postings from Google Groups

Jamie Paul Griffin jamie at kode5.net
Thu Nov 1 05:44:27 EDT 2012

/ Steven D'Aprano wrote on Wed 31.Oct'12 at 22:33:16 +0000 /

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 12:32:57 -0700, rurpy wrote:

> I don't killfile merely for posting from Gmail or Google Groups, but
> regarding your second point, it has seemed to me for some years now that
> Gmail is the new Hotmail, which was the new AOL. Whenever there is an
> inane, lazy, mind-numbingly stupid question or post, chances are
> extremely high that the sender has a Gmail address.

That's a bit harsh but then, sadly there's some truth in it. I subscribe to a number of technical mailing lists, like that of my OS OpenBSD and the problem doesn't exist there whether they use Gmail or Hotmail, etc, or not. This and the tutor python list are the two I have the most problems with formatting. Some people just don't seem to give a shit about sending horrid html and other irritating formatted mail in spite of being asked not to do so.