Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat May 26 15:53:25 EDT 2012

In article <7x1um6928y.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
 Paul Rubin <no.email at nospam.invalid> wrote:

> The Raspberry Pi is not really appropriate for a low powered portable
> application anyway, because of relatively high power requirements
> compared to an 8 bitter without all that media playback stuff.

It sounds like I can run one on 300mA @ 5V.  For my application, I'll
have about 10 A-h available at 12V (motorcycle battery).  Assuming
(mumble, cough, cough) 75% down-conversion efficiency, 120 W-h @ 12V
gets me 90 W-h @ 5V, which is 18 A-h, or 60 hours of operation.  Of
course, I've got to run some other stuff too, but I don't think the
Raspberry Pi is going to blow my power budget.

In any case, the dirt-cheap price makes it really attractive.  With what
I save on silicon, I can afford to buy more lead :-)