Smallest/cheapest possible Python platform?

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Sat May 26 12:25:17 EDT 2012

Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> writes:
> The Rasberry Pi certainly looks attractive, but isn't quite available
> today.  Can you run Python on an Arduino?

No.  YOu want a 32-bit platform with an OS and perhaps 1 meg of memory.
And by the time you port Python to it unless it's there already, you may
as well have just written your application in C.

If you want something even cheaper than an Arduino, look at the TI
Launchpad.  But you can't program that in Python either.  There is
a standalone interactive Forth for it, if that's of any interest:
  http://www.somersetweb.com/4E4th/EN.html

There are some fairly cheap ARM boards around that could run Python, but
they will be battery hungry compared to a Launchpad or Arduino, and
again, may not be worth the porting hassle if there's not an
already-done Python port.

Lua might be another scripting language of interest (www.lua.org).  Sort
of the same idea as Python, not quite as nice, but smaller and easier to
embed.  I think it wants around 50-100k of ram, still way out of the
Arduino range.