Email Id Verification

Jon Clements joncle at googlemail.com
Fri May 25 18:28:57 EDT 2012

On Friday, 25 May 2012 14:36:18 UTC+1, Grant Edwards  wrote:
> On 2012-05-25, Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 May 2012 05:32:16 -0700, niks wrote:
> >
> >> Hello everyone..
> >> I am new to asp.net...
> >> I want to use Regular Expression validator in Email id verification..
> >
> > Why do you want to write buggy code that makes your users hate your
> > program? Don't do it! Write good code, useful code! Validating email
> > addresses is the wrong thing to do.
>
> I have to agree with Steven.  Nothing will make your users swear at
> you as certainly as when you refuse to accept the e-mail address at
> which the reeive e-mail all day every day.
>
> --
> Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I appoint you
>                                   at               ambassador to Fantasy
>                               gmail.com            Island!!!

Ditto.

This would be my public email, but (like most I believe) also have 'private' and work email addresses.

For the OP, just trying to check an email is syntactically correct is okay-ish if done properly. Normally as mentioned you just send a confirmation email to said address with some id and link that confirms (normally with an expiry period). Some mail servers support the "does this mailbox exist?" request, but I fear these days due to spam, most will just say no -- so the only option is to send and handle a bounce (and some don't even send back bounces). And a pretty good way for malicious people to make mail servers think you're trying a DoS.

Although, what I'm finding useful is an option of "auth'ing" with twitter, facebook, google etc... Doesn't require a huge amount of work, and adds a bit of validity to the request.

Jon (who still didn't get any bloody Olympic tickets).