Email Id Verification

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri May 25 13:10:36 EDT 2012

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would think that it is not an anti-spam measure, but simply due to
> the fact that most addresses containing "spam" tend to be something
> like "nospam at invalid.net", being either a fake address or a junk inbox
> that is only checked when an important mail is expected.

If it's fake, you'll find out when you send to it. If it's checked
only when important mail is expected, you accept it. I'm not seeing a
problem here. I have a @yahoo.com.au address that is used solely in
the latter form; it's checked maybe once or twice a month (in
comparison to my two primary accounts, which both alert me on incoming
mail, one of them in direct response to the SMTP server receiving it);
and if any form rejects it, that's flat wrong.

DNS lookups aren't particularly expensive. A check for whether the
domain has an MX record will catch most forms of fakery without
needing any extra effort.

ChrisA