GUI toolkits and dynamic table browser widget

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Fri May 18 22:05:44 EDT 2012

On 19/05/12 01:09, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Fri, 18 May 2012 10:52:07 +1000, Simon Cropper
> <simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com>  declaimed the following in
> gmane.comp.python.general:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> There has been some discussion on this list regarding GUI toolkits and
>> it reinvigorated my search for one to meet my needs.
>>
>> I would like to create windows with grids (AKA rows and column of a
>> table like excel). Do any of the GUI interfaces have these types of
>> widgets? i have looked but can't find any and I have not stumbled on
>> program that presents data in this way so I can see how they do it.
>>
> 	Page 426 of "wxPython in Action" starts a chapter on using a grid
> view (and a "gridtable" which uses a linked data structure for
> populating the grid)..
>
>> Specifically I would like to run a SQL command and have the returned
>> list passed to a widget with little or no manipulation and that widget
>> present the data, allow the user to scroll through that data and
>> preferably allow edits to occur. These edits could then be passed back
>> via a string to the program for inclusion in a sql-update command.
>>
> 	Don't know if it has a direct link to SQL data sources; however, the
> "gridtable" is probably closest.

Dennis,

Thanks for you feedback. Sometimes it just knowing the name of what you
are looking for you to be able to find the data.

Googling gridtable allowed me to find my way to the wxGrid Manual which
seems to be what I was asking for...

http://wiki.wxpython.org/wxGrid%20Manual

wxPyGridTableBase, a particular class associated with wxGrid appears to
be what I need. The blurb states "The wxPyGridTableBase class is the
interface between the wxGrid and your application-specific data sources"

http://wiki.wxpython.org/wxPyGridTableBase

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator / Website Administrator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides