Python and Tkinter by John E Grayson

Thu May 17 09:44:56 EDT 2012

On May 17, 2012, at 9:07 AM, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> On 5/16/12 11:55 PM, Mark R Rivet wrote:
>>  I have a copy of this book and was wondering how relevant the content
>> is considering the publish date is 2000. Are people still using this
>> information? Anyone have any experience with this book? I guess what I
>> mean, is, any of the code in this book deprecated? or does it still
>> contain information used today the same as then. I mean, I guess some
>> things don't change right? For instance,  the derivative of x^2 is 2x
>> now and in the 1800's.
>
> Mark Lutz' "Programming Python" has extensive coverage of Tkinter (it's a huge book and devotes several chapters to Tkinter), and has been updated at regular intervals, most recently in the last year or two; I've found it a very helpful reference and guide to Tkinter programming.

I agree with Kevin's recommendation.
I've just come off of a large GUI development effort using  tkinter.  In addition to Lutz' book, I highly recommend the 'google is your friend'  approach -- there are quite a few decent or better references available, especially at the 'detailed topic' level.  E.g., google 'tkinter listbox' and at least one of the top 3 or 4 hits will likely provide you whatever you need.
Lutz will give you the grounding/overview and may have enough detail for what you want.  Where and as not, do a google search and you should be good to go.
FWIW, I picked up the book originally referenced and didn't find it particularly useful, especially given Lutz and the web. YMMV.

cheers,
Bill