compiling Tkinter

Rita rmorgan466 at gmail.com
Tue May 15 07:54:50 EDT 2012

Hello,

I understand Tkinter is part of the python distribution but for me it
always fails when I try to load the module. I get:

>>> import Tkinter
import _tkinter # if this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
ImportError: No module named _tkinter

So, here is how I am compiling tcl/tk and Python please let me know if you
see any issues with this.

assuming, my prefix is /tmp/testdir

wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tcl/tcl8.5.11-src.tar.gz
wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tcl/tk8.5.11-src.tar.gz

tar -xzpf tcl8.5.11-src.tar.gz && tar -xzpf tk8.5.11-src.tar.gz

#compile tcl
cd tcl8.5.11/unix/
./configure --prefix=/tmp/testdir --enable-64bit --enable-threads
make
make test
make install

#compile tk
cd tk8.5.11/unix/
./configure --prefix=/tmp/testdir --enable-threads --enable-64-bit
--with-tcl=/tmp/testdir/lib
make
make install

#compile python
wget http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.3/Python-2.7.3.tgz
tar -xzpvf Python-2.7.3.tgz
cd Python-2.7.3/
./configure --prefix=/tmp/testdir --enable-shared
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/tmp/testdir/lib"

Any thoughts?