Open Source: you're doing it wrong - the Pyjamas hijack

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu May 10 19:57:49 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Adrian Hunt <cyborgv2 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> All I did was to answer a mail sent to me by Ian Kelly (who I don't konw nor
> have ever had any prior contact with) about releasing code under a
> license... And, what I said stands: once anyone releases code, they are
> bound by the license they released it under as much as anyone else that may
> use it and cannot then withdraw that code from the domain they released it
> to (except by maybe creating a new and different version.)

And that's absolutely correct. Open source licenses are deliberately
worded to guarantee rights in perpetuity, so there's no way to
withdraw it or change the license (though of course a copyright owner
can release the same code under an additional license).

> Being dyslexic, my message (and this one) may not be worded in the best way
> but that is no reason to start on me!

Your message is fine. Believe you me, I'd much rather read a message
posted by a non-native English speaker, or a dyslexic person, or
someone who has a clinical aversion to the letter 'q', than someone
who's simply sloppy and doesn't care about their language at all.

Chris Angelico