Open Source: you're doing it wrong - the Pyjamas hijack

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Wed May 9 15:00:11 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Temia Eszteri <lamialily at cleverpun.com> wrote:
> And you know what? Leighton was right to threaten legal action. What
> you did was not only in violation of his IP, but also multiple data
> theft laws.

As far as copyright goes, it was open source, so he's allowed to
continue making modifications. I don't think Luke had any patents.

There might be something with stealing the name "PyJS" (which was,
AFAIK, used as a synonym for "PyJamas") -- apparently "common law
trademark" is a thing. Otherwise...

The domain was apparently not directly owned by Luke (but pointed to a
server luke administered), and its transfer was apparently consensual.

It seems like nearly every evil thing the hijacker did is legally
permissible. The one other thing was the way he created the new
mailing list might not have been legal, apparently. (See
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2012-May/1291804.html ).

-- Devin