Open Source: you're doing it wrong - the Pyjamas hijack

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 8 18:55:38 EDT 2012

On 08/05/2012 22:47, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:12 AM, Terry Reedy<tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>
>>> You still have it backwards. Risinger forked the project with a new code
>>> host and mailing list, but stole the name and and some data in the
>>> process
>>> and made the false claim that his fork was the original. It is not
>>> clear if
>>> he damaged anything in the process.
>>
>> Yes, but now that it's happened, the most obvious way forward is to
>> fork the hijacked project back to the original, given that the
>> hijacked one is being posted as the original.
>
> Risinger's fork is NOT the original, no matter what his claim. People
> should not give credit to his false claim or regard it as an
> accomplished fact.
>
>  From what others have posted, it has a new code repository (that being
> the ostensible reason for the fork), project site, and mailing list --
> the latter two incompetently. Apparently, the only thing he has kept are
> the domain and project names (the latter for sure not legitimately).
>
> Luke has not abandoned pyjamas and has not, as of now, ceded ownership
> of the name to anyone. I am pretty sure Luke he has no plans to adandon
> his current codebase and and re-fork off of the Risinger et al revised
> codebase.
>
>>> If Luke continues his original project, it would still be the true
>>> pyjamas
>>> project, not a fork.
>>
>> Yeah, but if he doesn't have command of the domain any more, then
>> he'll likely be spawning it under a new name somewhere.
>
> Yes, but so what? The domain name is not the project. Open source
> projects change domain names all the time (though hopefully rarely for
> any particular project).

{Not replying To Terry Reedy or anybody else specifically, but didn't
know where to jump in]

Who cares, in the sense that zero people (apart from five(ish) morons)
will follow the hijacked project, while the vast majority will support
Luke as a matter of principal. I suggest the thieves be subjected to
this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Send_to_Coventry

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.