Open Source: you're doing it wrong - the Pyjamas hijack

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue May 8 17:47:36 EDT 2012

On 5/8/2012 12:42 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:12 AM, Terry Reedy<tjreedy at udel.edu>  wrote:

>> You still have it backwards. Risinger forked the project with a new code
>> host and mailing list, but stole the name and and some data in the process
>> and made the false claim that his fork was the original. It is not clear if
>> he damaged anything in the process.
>
> Yes, but now that it's happened, the most obvious way forward is to
> fork the hijacked project back to the original, given that the
> hijacked one is being posted as the original.

Risinger's fork is NOT the original, no matter what his claim. People
should not give credit to his false claim or regard it as an
accomplished fact.

 From what others have posted, it has a new code repository (that being
the ostensible reason for the fork), project site, and mailing list --
the latter two incompetently. Apparently, the only thing he has kept are
the domain and project names (the latter for sure not legitimately).

Luke has not abandoned pyjamas and has not, as of now, ceded ownership
of the name to anyone. I am pretty sure Luke he has no plans to adandon
his current codebase and and re-fork off of the Risinger et al revised
codebase.

>> If Luke continues his original project, it would still be the true pyjamas
>> project, not a fork.
>
> Yeah, but if he doesn't have command of the domain any more, then
> he'll likely be spawning it under a new name somewhere.

Yes, but so what? The domain name is not the project. Open source
projects change domain names all the time (though hopefully rarely for
any particular project).

--
Terry Jan Reedy