Python is readable

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 09:33:09 EDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> > Another good reason to advocate for proper typography. "John 14:5-7"
>> > indicates a range (because it uses U+2013 EN DASH), whereas "7-5"
>> > indicates subtraction (because it uses U+2212 MINUS SIGN). A hyphen
>> > ('-' U+002D) is inappropriate in either case.
>>
>> Heh. Yes, but when you're seeking the size of a range, you use
>> subtraction.
>
> Not the size of an *inclusive* range, such as a range indicated by use
> of an en dash :-)

Yes you do, you just have to add one to it. You still use subtraction. :)

>> The fact that the en dash and minus sign are both often represented in
>> ASCII with a hyphen is pure coincidence.
>
> Hopefully, the fact that your quoting of my text munged the characters
> down to ASCII is also pure coincidence, and is soon to be corrected at
> your end? Or has your client program not joined the rest of us in the
> third millennium with Unicode?

It's gmail, and I don't know why it folded everything down. I've told
it to cast everything to text (to avoid the stupid look you sometimes
get with nested replies to HTML-formatted emails), and I guess it
decided to go ASCII. Your mail displayed just fine, it was something
in the reply mechanism.

ChrisA