Python is readable

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Mar 15 09:16:28 EDT 2012

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > Another good reason to advocate for proper typography. "John 14:5-7"
> > indicates a range (because it uses U+2013 EN DASH), whereas "7-5"
> > indicates subtraction (because it uses U+2212 MINUS SIGN). A hyphen
> > ('-' U+002D) is inappropriate in either case.
>
> Heh. Yes, but when you're seeking the size of a range, you use
> subtraction.

Not the size of an *inclusive* range, such as a range indicated by use
of an en dash :-)

> The fact that the en dash and minus sign are both often represented in
> ASCII with a hyphen is pure coincidence.

Hopefully, the fact that your quoting of my text munged the characters
down to ASCII is also pure coincidence, and is soon to be corrected at
your end? Or has your client program not joined the rest of us in the
third millennium with Unicode?

--
 \         “Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics. You can |
  `\        leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.” |