Is it technically possible to give Python option of naming process of running script?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Mar 14 12:02:02 EDT 2012

On 2012-03-14, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 1:43 AM, xliiv <tymoteusz.jankowski at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Like the topic.. .
>> I use Python a lot, both Windows and Linux, and it's little weird to have many python process without fast distinction which is what.
>
> I've no idea if it's even possible on Windows. On Linux, what you want
> is the prctl function, which (AFAIK) isn't directly available.
>
> Google is your friend, though. Question's already been asked on Stack
> Overflow and such, and has a few answers. Nothing that looks
> cut-and-dried ready, but several that might work.

The question of how to set the application name comes up somewhat
regularly. It would be awfully nice if there was a way for python
applications to set their application name.  It's especially useful
for daemons, and makes it much easier when you can kill them by name
instead of having to look up the PID.

It seems like an excellent thing to add to the "os" module.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! TONY RANDALL!  Is YOUR
                                  at               life a PATIO of FUN??