What's the best way to write this regular expression?

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Wed Mar 7 16:27:26 EST 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM, John Salerno <johnjsal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There is a fork of setuptools called "distribute" that supports Python
> > 3.
>
> Thanks, I guess I'll give this a try tonight!
>
> > setup.py is a file that should be included at the top-level of the
> > .tar files you downloaded.  Generally, to install something in that
> > manner, you would navigate to that top-level folder and run "python
> > setup.py install".  If you have multiple Python versions installed and
> > want to install the package for a specific version, then you would use
> > that version of Python to run the setup.py file.
>
> The only files included in the .tar.gz file is a .tar file of the same
> name. So I guess the setup option doesn't exist for these particular
> packages. I'll try "distribute" tonight when I have some time to mess
> with all of this.
>
> So much work just to get a 3rd party module installed!
> --

It's because your extraction program is weird. Gzip is a compression
algorithm that operates on a single file. Tar is an archive format
that combines multiple files into a single file. When we say "extract
the .tar.gz", what we mean is both uncompress the tar file and then
extract everything out of that. A lot of programs will do that in one
step. If you look inside the tar file, you should find the setup.py.