tiffany 0.6.1 released

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Sat Jun 30 17:35:31 EDT 2012

Am 30.06.2012 18:25, schrieb Paul Rubin:
> Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com> writes:
>> Tiffany stands for any tiff. The tiny module solves a large set of
>> problems, has no dependencies and just works wherever Python works.
>> Tiffany was developed in the course of the *DiDoCa* project and will
>> always appear on PyPi.
>
> This sounds pretty neat.  I didn't comment on it earlier because I
> haven't tried it out, since I haven't had occasion to deal with tiff
> files anytime recently.  But I've had to process them for some projects
> in the past, and tiffany would have been useful then.  It's good to know
> that it's out there.

I've developed smc.freeimage exclusively to process large amounts of
TIFF images. I estimate that we have processed more than twelve million
unique TIFF images with about half a petabyte of data. The packages uses
Cython to wrap FreeImage (containing libtiff, libpng, libjpeg, libraw
and more) and LittleCMS2.

The package is mostly fitted to our needs, a bit limited (e.g. no
conversion of CMYK to RGB with color management) and doesn't follow
recent best practices for Cython code, but it does it job well. I need
to clean up the code base some day when more people get interested in
the lib.

Christian