Why has python3 been created as a seperate language where there is still python2.7 ?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Jun 28 00:32:23 EDT 2012

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 17:44:23 -0700, alex23 wrote:

> If you believe providing a complementary __past__ namespace will work -
> even though I believe Guido has explicitly stated it will never happen -
> then the onus is on you to come up with an implementation.

Guido speaks only for CPython. Other implementations can always do
differently.

The Python 3 naysayers are welcome to fork Python 2.7 and support it
forever, with or without a __past__ namespace. That's the power of open
source software.

And who knows, if it becomes popular enough, perhaps it will be ported to
CPython too.

--
Steven