Why has python3 been created as a seperate language where there is still python2.7 ?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Jun 25 23:35:14 EDT 2012

(Rick, don't make me regret communicating with you again.)

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 19:28:01 -0700, rantingrickjohnson wrote:

> However, there is something to be said for "old habits die hard". I
> myself lament every time i must type->(, then blah, then->) AGAIN!. My
> fingers are hardwired for the old print statement. Damned that Guido and
> his mind games!

There's no real difference between typing print(...) and all the other
functions in Python. Do you lament having to type len(obj) instead of
"len obj" or list(zip(a, b, c)) instead of "list zip a b c"?

Making print a statement in the first place was a mistake, but
fortunately it was a simple enough mistake to rectify once the need for
backward compatibility was relaxed.

--
Steven