using SQLalchemy

Chris Withers chris at python.org
Fri Jun 22 14:08:49 EDT 2012

On 21/06/2012 11:50, andrea crotti wrote:
> We have a very chaotic database (on MySql) at the moment, with for
> I'm trying to use SQLalchemy and it looks absolutely great, but in
> general as a policy we don't use external dependencies..

That's a very foolish general policy, a lot of the power of python is in
the huge array of excellent third party libraries and frameworks, but
each to their own...

> To try to do an exception in this case:
> - are there any problems with SQLalchemy on Windows?

No.

> - are there any possibly drawbacks of using SQLalchemy instead of the
>    MySqlDB interface?

You won't be using it instead of mysqldb, you'll be using it as a layer
over mysqldb.

>    For the second point I guess that we might have a bit less fine
>    tuning,

Not so, any tuning you can do direct against the dbapi driver can still
be done through SQLAalchemy.

>    Any other possible issue?

If you have problems, I'd suggest asking on the sqlalchemy mailing list:

http://groups.google.com/group/sqlalchemy

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk