Pythonic cross-platform GUI desingers ?? la Interface Builder (Re: what gui designer is everyone using)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 11:51:41 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Chris Fox <chris at robotninja.net> wrote:
> On 17/06/2012 03:42, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> I want to promote Linux as a replacement for Windows. But I do not
>> see that Linux needs to be able to run Internet Explorer in order
>> to do that. Maybe when people move to a replacement, they need to
>> learn a slightly different way of doing things; and in this case, I
>> would strongly recommend the "build your UI in code" method.
>>
>> ChrisA
>
> So you use wget on linux and read the html code in a terminal? That
> would seem to be a reasonable analogy.
>
> (a different) Chris

Well, I have been known to use wget, a simple HTML-to-text converter,
and watch... made for a fairly simple monitor for something that had a
browser-based status display. But no, I don't go to that extent. That
would be analogous to abolishing GUI frameworks altogether and
expecting everyone to use and write command-line tools. We're talking
here about building your own program, and whether or not you can use a
GUI to build a GUI. Most other interfaces aren't built using
themselves; look at web-based web site builders, they almost
universally suck (and those that don't suck are special-purpose
things, like MediaWiki, that just happen to be able to be used to
build a web site). WYSIWYG HTML editors have become rather better now
than they were (say) 10-15 years ago, but I still believe in
hand-writing HTML and CSS (or using straight-forward tools) for best
results.

ChrisA
(keeping the A(ngelico) on the name to distinguish from all the other
geeky Chrises, of whom there are a good few on this list)