Re: Pythonic cross-platform GUI desingers à la Interface Builder (Re: what gui designer is everyone using)

Dietmar Schwertberger news at schwertberger.de
Fri Jun 15 12:35:47 EDT 2012

Am 15.06.2012 01:07, schrieb Dennis Lee Bieber:
> 	Visual Basic was essentially developed as a unified whole (drop a
Sure. I prefer modular approaches. I don't see why this should not be
possible (e.g. an IDE like Wing integrates well with other tools and
frameworks; I'm sure it could also integrate with a GUI builder).

> VB6 "form" module into a pure text editor and look at how much hidden
> code was embedded)...
I did so several times before. It's nothing that you want to create
manually, but you can fix small items there and also, being text based,
it works with revision control systems and can be printed for
documentation purposes.

> 	Have you ever seen the crud created by Visual C++? I'd rather create
No. And I don't have plans to. C/C++ is good as a system-level language
but I don't see the point in using it for implementation of a GUI or
business logic.

> a GUI using Fujitsu COBOL version 4 (unfortunately, the installer that
> came with my Y2K COBOL book(s) doesn't work on WinXP and I no longer
> have a Win98 system; wonder if it can run under Win7 using one of the
> compatibility modes; I think v4 itself would work -- it is just the
> installer doing something odd; v3, OTOH, is a 16-bit application)
If you have access to a Win98 system, you could try to install there
an move only the installed program to your current PC (including any
DLLs from the system folder).
Well-written software does not need an installer. Just move where you
want to have it and execute (works well with Python; you can e.g.
run a shared installation from the network, even though I would not
recommend this for processes requiring highest reliability).
IMHO under Windows installers and the crappy start menus are a side
effect of the initial decision to separate into File Manager and
Program Manager. Other platforms did things better from a UI and
technical point of view, but not from a commercial one...
(E.g. Acorn's RISC OS where you could even run software from
within zip archives as it had the equivalent of user-space file
systems twenty years ago already.)

Regards,

Dietmar