[newbie] Equivalent to PHP?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Jun 13 20:08:57 EDT 2012

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 00:44:23 +0200, Gilles wrote:

> On 13 Jun 2012 22:16:51 GMT, Steven D'Aprano
>>Surely the obvious answer is that a framework offers the benefit that
>>you don't have to write the application from scratch.
>
> Yes, but between receiving the query and sending the response, what
> features do frameworks offer that I'd have to write myself otherwise?

What, google broken for you? *wink*

Copied and pasted from http://cherrypy.org/

  FEATURES
  A fast, HTTP/1.1-compliant, WSGI thread-pooled webserver.
  Easy to run multiple HTTP servers (e.g. on multiple ports) at once.
  A powerful configuration system for developers and deployers alike.
  A flexible plugin system.
  Built-in tools for caching, encoding, sessions, authorization, static
  content, and many more.
  Swappable and customizable...everything.
  Built-in profiling, coverage, and testing support.
  Runs on Python 2.5+, 3.1+, Jython and Android.

Plus you have a whole community of people working on the framework,
fixing bugs and writing documentation, and you don't have to pay them a
cent.

http://duckduckgo.com/?q=cherrypy+features

Repeat as needed for any other framework you are interested in.

Essentially, using a framework means you get to concentrate on the actual
problem your application is meant to solve instead of spending most of
your time worrying about building the infrastructure (the framework!) to
hold your application.

--
Steven