[newbie] Equivalent to PHP?

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Wed Jun 13 20:03:29 EDT 2012

On 06/13/12 17:44, Gilles wrote:
> On 13 Jun 2012 22:16:51 GMT, Steven D'Aprano
>> Surely the obvious answer is that a framework offers the benefit that you
>> don't have to write the application from scratch.
>
> Yes, but between receiving the query and sending the response, what
> features do frameworks offer that I'd have to write myself otherwise?

Let's see

- CRSF protection
- keeping things DRY
- templating (or you could use many others)
- user management
- administrative interface
- database creation/introspection
- i18n
- an ecosystem of pluggable add-on apps
- URL routing
- view decorators
- easily swappable back-ends
- active development across multiple lines of business
- GIS support
- abstracted ORM (or you could use SQLObject or its kin) to allow
you mobility between DB back-ends should you want to

That's just my off-the-top-of-my-head list of things that you'd have
to come up with that Django happens to give you out-of-the-box.

-tkc