Re: Pythonic cross-platform GUI desingers à la Interface Builder (Re: what gui designer is everyone using)

Dietmar Schwertberger maillist at schwertberger.de
Mon Jun 11 19:15:00 EDT 2012

Am 11.06.2012 16:09, schrieb Mark Roseman:
 > On the Tkinter front, I just want to reiterate two important points that
 > are not nearly as well known as they should be.
 >
 > First, it is possible and in fact easy to do decent looking GUI's in
 > Tkinter, with the caveat that you do in fact have to do things very
 > slightly differently than you would have 15 years ago. Shocking, I know.
Yes, but when I have the choice between Tkinter, Qt and wx, I still
would go for wx or Qt (or stick to wx which I chose 12 years ago).
I don't see the point of chosing Tkinter over the other toolkits.

 > Second, there does exist at least one fairly good source of
 > documentation for new users wishing to do exactly this (according to
 > many, many comments I have received), though that documentation is
 > admittedly buried in a sea of out-of-date information that is still all
 > too easy to find.
 >
 > Please see http://www.tkdocs.com and in particular the tutorial there.
The point of this thread is that Python is not attractive to casual
users who want to implement some GUI programs.
I don't see how that would change without an easy-to-use GUI builder,
no matter how good the documentation is.
Of course, it's possible to split up the documentation into many small
building blocks which the user could copy & paste together.
But then we have a poor-man's GUI builder. I doubt that it would
attract new users.

(For more straightforward tasks like hardware control / data
  acquisition I made good experiences with a Wiki-based approach
  of providing snippets. But *simple* GUIs are mainly visual and
  there should be a way to create them visually without consulting
  much documentation.)

Regards,

Dietmar