Pythonic cross-platform GUI desingers à la Interface Builder (Re: what gui designer is everyone using)

Mark Roseman mark at markroseman.com
Mon Jun 11 10:09:23 EDT 2012

 Dietmar Schwertberger <news at schwertberger.de> wrote:
> But the fact that Tkinter is still the standard GUI toolkit tells a lot
> about the situation...
> Sure, I know how to code GUIs. But the learning curve is too steep
> for new users wanting to implement simple GUIs.

As is obvious to everybody, the massive interest in web-based
applications in recent years has certainly not helped advance the state
of the art in desktop GUI's, nor enlarged the developer population
actively engaged in maintaining and improving desktop GUI toolkits.

Given that, we're likely "stuck" with more or less what we have now, so
let's make the best of it.

On the Tkinter front, I just want to reiterate two important points that
are not nearly as well known as they should be.

First, it is possible and in fact easy to do decent looking GUI's in
Tkinter, with the caveat that you do in fact have to do things very
slightly differently than you would have 15 years ago. Shocking, I know.

Second, there does exist at least one fairly good source of
documentation for new users wishing to do exactly this (according to
many, many comments I have received), though that documentation is
admittedly buried in a sea of out-of-date information that is still all
too easy to find.

Please see http://www.tkdocs.com and in particular the tutorial there.

Mark