Re: Pythonic cross-platform GUI desingers à la Interface Builder (Re: what gui designer is everyone using)

Dietmar Schwertberger news at schwertberger.de
Mon Jun 11 19:04:27 EDT 2012

Am 11.06.2012 16:14, schrieb Anssi Saari:
> Wolfgang Keller<feliphil at gmx.net>  writes:
>
>> This whole cycle of "design GUI"->"generate code"->add own code to
>> generated code"->"run application with GUI" has always seemed very
>> un-pythonic to me. A dynamic, interpreted language should allow to work
>> in a more "lively", "direct" way to build a GUI.
>
> What about Qt Quick? I have used it very little, but it does allow
> dynamic modification of the GUI elements so that the application
> changes on the fly. I don't know how pythonic it is, since the GUI is
> described in QML, which combines CSS and javascript.
I have been following the Qt development as I have been using PySide
for some small projects on the Maemo platform.
Qt Quick / QML seems to enable the implementation of so-called "modern"
UIs.
It's more for people who think that HTML5/CSS/Javascript is the future
for UIs.
Well, maybe they are right for certain advanced requirements.
But for the beginner I don't see how it would help as it's even more
difficult to link the GUI to the backend code and also I don't see
how having to deal with multiple environments would make things easier.
I think that for beginners some basic controls are fine enough and
there's no need to care for fancy effects for the most non-consumer
applications.

For getting an impression about Qt Quick, have a look at
http://qt.nokia.com/qtquick/
(The slide show 1,2,3,...)

Regards,

Dietmar