which one do you prefer? python with C# or java?

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Sun Jun 10 12:32:43 EDT 2012

Matej Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com> writes:
> The point is that you are never interested in learning *a language*,
> everybody who has at least some touch with programming can learn most
> languages in one session in the afternoon.

Really, that's only if the new language is pretty much the same as the
old ones, in which case you haven't really learned much of anything.
Languages that use interesting new concepts are challenges in their own
right.

Here is an interesting exercise for statically typed languages,
unsuitable for Python but not too hard in Haskell:

http://blog.tmorris.net/understanding-practical-api-design-static-typing-and-functional-programming/

It doesn't require the use of any libraries, standards, style, or
culture.  I can tell you as a fairly strong Python programemr who got
interested in Haskell a few years ago, it took me much longer than an
afternoon to get to the point of being able to solve a problem like the
above.  It required absorbing new concepts that Python simply does not
contain.  But it gave me the ability to do things I couldn't do before.
That's a main reason studying new languages is challenging and
worthwhile.