which one do you prefer? python with C# or java?

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Sun Jun 10 09:40:41 EDT 2012

On 10/06/12 00:44, Yesterday Paid wrote:
> I'm planning to learn one more language with my python.

Just my personal experience, but after passively learning many many
languages, I came to the conclusion that I (and I suppose many others)
am able to learn only one platform well. The point is that you are never
interested in learning *a language*, everybody who has at least some
touch with programming can learn most languages in one session in the
afternoon. But nobody is interested in you knowing a language, you need
to know the platform with all libraries, standards, style, and culture.
And *that* demands you focus on one language completely.

Yes, of course, you will know couple of other languages and be able to
write a thing in it (everybody needs to know a bit of JavaScript these
days, and if you are on Unix/Linux,Mac OS X, you need to know a bit of
shell scripting), but that's different from "Zen & Writing" (that's my
personal homage to recently deceased Ray Bradbury and his essay
http://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=wikipedia&q=isbn%3A1877741094). The
language in which you write those 100 lines of code per day (that's my
rough estimate of an equivalent for Bradbury's daily portion of prose to
be written) should be IMHO only the one.

I think the similarity with story writing makes a lot of sense. Yes,
many people speak and write more than one language (me included, English
is not my first language), but that's not the same as writing stories
professionally. At the moment, I can think only about one successful
famous writer how changed his main language (Kundera), but I don't
recall ATM any writer who would be writing in multiple languages at one
time. (yes, switches between main programming languages is more
possible, because programming languages are endlessly less complicated
than natural ones)

Just my 0.02CZK

Matěj