Re: Pythonic cross-platform GUI desingers à la Interface Builder (Re: what gui designer is everyone using)

Dietmar Schwertberger news at schwertberger.de
Sun Jun 10 07:52:43 EDT 2012

Am 10.06.2012 08:16, schrieb rusi:
> This is worth a read in this context: http://osteele.com/archives/2004/11/ides
So which language would you suggest to use next? ;-)

I've read the article. It presents some nice ideas, but probably the
author has not used Python before.
Otherwise he would have noticed that the overall productivity does not
only depend on language and IDE/editor, but on the complete environment
which in the case of Python includes the ability to use the interpreter
interactively. For many tasks that's a major productivity boost.
But that's a point that many people don't see because their current
language like C# or Java does not have an interpreter and when they
just look at the syntax, the find "there's not enough improvement to
switch".

Also, I'm not sure whether the author counts the libraries as language
or tool feature. In my opinion the environment and the libraries should
be listed on their own in such an article. Libraries are developed
after the language, but usually they are ahead of the other tools/IDEs.

The author lists many IDE features that I personally don't find too
important (the refactoring capabilities of a simple text editor are
fine for me...). But following the link to Laszlo made the reason quite
clear because his IDE background is from Eclipse not from Python.

Btw.: I've been using Python for 16 or 17 years now. Only 3 years ago I
did the switch from Editor to IDE (Wing IDE) and this has brought a
*significant* boost of productivity (especially the good debugger allows
you to code in a different way as you can use the interactive
interpreter at any point in your program).

But back to my original point, this time in the context of the article:
If you want to 'sell' a programming language for corporate use, you
absolutely need the tools. And this includes an easy-to-use GUI editor
which does not only allow to create the GUI, but also to fill it with
code.
Most corporate users are casual users, not full time programmers.

Regards,

Dietmar