[Q] How to specify options for 'setup.py install' by environment variable?

Makoto Kuwata kwa at kuwata-lab.com
Sun Jun 10 00:24:05 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:
> In article
> <CAFTm5RucOAztp89MBpW4UtiSKa8zq58q9evJeL1oFuLBc-p69g at mail.gmail.com>,
>  Makoto Kuwata <kwa at kuwata-lab.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> "setup.py install" command supports options such as --prefix,
>> --install-scripts, and so on.
>> For example:
>>
>>   $ python setup.py install --prefix=$PWD/local --install-scripts=$PWD/bin
>>
>> Question: is it possible to specify these options by environment variable?
>> I want to specify --prefix or --install-scripts options, but it is
>> too troublesome for me to specify them in command line every time.
>
> There are some environment variable options for Distutils-based (i.e.
> with setup.py) installations.  The supported method is to put
> frequently-used preferences into one of several configuration files.
> See
> http://docs.python.org/install/index.html#inst-config-fileshttp://docs.py
> thon.org/install/index.html#inst-config-files

Thank you Ned,
but I can't find environment variable name on that page which is
equivarent to '--install-scripts' or other options.
$PYTHONHOME seems equivarent to --prefix option, but the following
reports error.

  $ mkdir -p local/lib/python2.7/site-packages
  $ PYTHONHOME=local python setup.py install
  ImportError: No module named site

--
regards,
makoto kuwata