[Q] How to specify options for 'setup.py install' by environment variable?

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sat Jun 9 22:55:51 EDT 2012

In article
<CAFTm5RucOAztp89MBpW4UtiSKa8zq58q9evJeL1oFuLBc-p69g at mail.gmail.com>,
 Makoto Kuwata <kwa at kuwata-lab.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> "setup.py install" command supports options such as --prefix,
> --install-scripts, and so on.
> For example:
>
>   $ python setup.py install --prefix=$PWD/local --install-scripts=$PWD/bin
>
> Question: is it possible to specify these options by environment variable?
> I want to specify --prefix or --install-scripts options, but it is
> too troublesome for me to specify them in command line every time.

There are some environment variable options for Distutils-based (i.e.
with setup.py) installations.  The supported method is to put
frequently-used preferences into one of several configuration files.
See
http://docs.python.org/install/index.html#inst-config-fileshttp://docs.py
thon.org/install/index.html#inst-config-files

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org