Re: Pythonic cross-platform GUI desingers à la Interface Builder (Re: what gui designer is everyone using)

CM cmpython at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 11:34:25 EDT 2012

> I think that something in the style of Visual BASIC (version 6) is required
> for either wxPython or PyQt/PySide (or both).
> In the Visual BASIC editor you can e.g. add a GUI element
> and directly go to the code editor to fill methods (e.g. an OnClick
> method).

You can do this for wxPython with Boa Constructor easily.  You can
bind an event handler for a wx.EVT_BUTTON to, e.g., "Button1" with Boa
and it will add this code for you to the bottom of your code:

def OnButton1Button(self,evt):
     evt.Skip()

And you can than go in the code editor to that function and change the
code to do whatever you want.

> If you have not used VB before, you should just try it. You can create
> GUIs within a few minutes even if you haven't used it before.

Same with Boa.

> Such an editor should support simple manual layouts without enforcing
> the use of sizers (wx) or layout managers (Qt).
> These add an additional level of complexity which is not required
> for simple GUIs.

Same with Boa, though it also has good support for sizers which
generally should be required for anything other than the simplest
GUIs.

> data acquisition, but the lack of an easy-to-use GUI editor is
> the blocking point. I can teach anyone how to create a program for data
> acquisition, but I don't see how more than a few could create a GUI
> without an easy-to-use tool.
> There's still a lot of VB6 code around as there's no replacement and
> this gap could well be filled by Python.

In addition to Boa, I get the sense that the other tools mentioned
here are also good, so is this "blocking point" real?