Re: Pythonic cross-platform GUI desingers à la Interface Builder (Re: what gui designer is everyone using)

Dietmar Schwertberger news at schwertberger.de
Sat Jun 9 09:25:47 EDT 2012

Am 08.06.2012 17:11, schrieb CM:
> I'm curious about your point but I don't really understand it.  Could
> you try again without using any scare-quoted words?  Maybe given an
> example of creating a small text editor application with a GUI builder/
> IDE in this Pythonic way you are hoping for.

Before anyone now writes "Good GUIs are coded by hand":
I agree, but for many purposes only simple GUIs are required
and it should be possible to create these without studying manuals
(on toolkit and GUI editor).
A typical simple GUI would e.g. be for a measurement / data aquisition
program, where you just need some buttons and fields.

I think that something in the style of Visual BASIC (version 6) is required
for either wxPython or PyQt/PySide (or both).
In the Visual BASIC editor you can e.g. add a GUI element
and directly go to the code editor to fill methods (e.g. an OnClick
method).
If you have not used VB before, you should just try it. You can create
GUIs within a few minutes even if you haven't used it before.
(Sure, the fact that anyone can use it has the side effect that most
  of these GUIs are not good...)

Also:
Such an editor should support simple manual layouts without enforcing
the use of sizers (wx) or layout managers (Qt).
These add an additional level of complexity which is not required
for simple GUIs.

Background:
I'm using Python in a corporate environment but I'm more or less
the only one using it. I could propagate Python for wider use as it
is the best available language for things like hardware control and
data acquisition, but the lack of an easy-to-use GUI editor is
the blocking point. I can teach anyone how to create a program for data
acquisition, but I don't see how more than a few could create a GUI
without an easy-to-use tool.
There's still a lot of VB6 code around as there's no replacement and
this gap could well be filled by Python.

Regards,

Dietmar